Love Field Unit Love Field Unit Intro

Asset Forfeiture and Seizure

Chapter 59 of the Code of Criminal Procedure gives the Police Department the authority to seize certain property that has been used in the commission of certain felonies, including felony narcotics offenses. This property may then be forfeited after a court hearing.

What do I do if my car has been seized?

If your vehicle has been seized, you should contact the Auto Pound to determine if a Narcotics hold has been placed on it. If there is a Narcotics hold on it, ask for the Inventory Control Number (ICN). Then call the Asset Forfeiture Unit at 670-7727. A detective will be assigned your case and will contact you.

When you speak to the investigating detective, make sure you have the following information:

  • Name of person arrested in the vehicle.
  • Make and model of vehicle.
  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle.

How soon can I get my car back?

By state law, the Police Department has up to 30 days to investigate a seizure case for potential forfeiture.  After investigation, if a case is filed, it will be up to the courts for final disposition. This could take several years.

How do I get my property out of my car?

The Police Department is happy to work with you in the recovery of personal property from seized vehicles. Simply contact the investigating officer at 214-670-7727. The investigating officer will arrange to meet you at the Police Auto Pound at a mutually convenient time and supervise the removal of the property.

Please insure that you have transportation and enough help to handle the material to be picked up. Obviously contraband is not eligible for pickup.